The first step for a stronger body
Stand to Strength is designed for those who do not want to do a floor-based class, but do want to get the same benefits.
It could be the first step back to fitness after an illness, injury or prolonged time of inactivity. You are also welcome if you are just looking to gain a bit of strength, flexibility and stamina and feel more at home in a slightly slower paced class.
We will focus on posture and technique and will include movements that involve both bigger and smaller muscle groups. For part of the session we will be using the barre. The rest will be freestanding, to incorporate the benefits of balance and moving in different directions.
During a class, each person can work at his/her own level. The exercises always include easier options and I keep presenting new challenges, no matter what level you are on.
The result will be a more flexible and stronger body (both in terms of muscle strength and stamina), so you can move with more confidence.
The classes are fully in line with the Mi-Time philosophy that sessions should be FUN. Apart from the focus on technique, nobody will care about how you perform the routine or which direction you end up facing. It will be about getting back into moving your body and you may surprise yourself with your capabilities in the process.
- Pay-as-you-go group courses
- Private one-to-one sessions (on request)
Find a class near you on the Schedules & Venues page. There are no skills pre-requisites, but the class is in the upstairs Studio of the Cottenham Community Centre, so participants need to be able to use one flight of stairs. If you can’t do this, then you can contact me to book a one-to-one Stand to Strength class at a different venue.
What you need:
- Please wear stretchable or exercise clothes. Wear layers to keep comfortable throughout all elements of the session.
- You can wear non-slip socks, toe-socks, Pilates/ Barre socks or shoes. Alternatively, you can go barefoot. Please note that outdoor trainers/street shoes are not permitted in the Studio of the Cottenham Community Centre, where the classes are held.
- Bring water to keep you hydrated during the sessions. There is no water available in the Studio itself (there is a café downstairs). Please use closable containers, so they do not spill.
Stretch, tone and connect your mind, body and spirit. Gain body awareness and control.
Effective gentle movements that feel good for people of all ages and all health conditions.
Stand to Strength
Stand to Strength is for those who do not want to do a floor-based class, but want the same benefits.
Saturday morning workshops with a choice of Pilates, Yin Yoga or Colour Analysis.